The South African Fisheries Museum Velddrif is a tourist attraction in Velddrif on the West Coast. It opened in December 2009. It exhibits the colourful history of the fishing industry along this coast from the intrepid days of whaling and whalers to present-day pelagic and lobster fishing. This visitorís experience is inextricably interwoven with the colourful local history and culture of the West Coast, presented in the museum by multi-media presentations and personally guided tours of this informative facility.For these reasons itís a West Coast Experience not to be missed.
The following are on offer: †
- A collection of historical objects and documents
- Displays illustrating fishing and fish-processing methods
- Models of fishing boats and nets
- The history of the net-fishing industry on the West Coast - Displays and slide shows on the history of Velddrif and surrounds, and the unique architecture of the Sandveld
- Videos and DVDís on the sea and its treasures
Click below to watch a video of the SA Fisheries Museum: